COSLA Leads have reaffirmed Scottish Local Governments commitment to do all we can to support people in the current Afghan humanitarian crisis.
Afghan Locally Employed Staff Relocation Scheme (also known as ARAP – Afghan Relocations and Assistance Policy).
The UK Government has introduced the Afghan Locally Employed Staff Relocation Scheme. This was set up to provide safe passage to the UK for those who worked with British Forces in Afghanistan. Participating LAs are funded to provide accommodation and integration support for 12 months. There is additional funding to address the gap in rentals for larger properties. Further details on the scheme can be found here - Afghan locally employed staff - relocation schemes (publishing.service.gov.uk)
Through the Afghan Locally Employed Staff Relocation Scheme, Scottish local authorities have already stepped up at very short notice and are playing a disproportionate role in the efforts to accommodate the new arrivals.
Participating local authorities are sourcing suitable accommodation across Scotland for families and will also provide integration support, access to school education, health services and ESOL as well as other support to enable families to make their new home in Scotland.
Afghan Citizens Resettlement Scheme
The UK Government have also announced the Afghan Citizens Resettlement Scheme, in which the UK Government committed to bringing 20,000 Afghans to the UK over the coming years and 5,000 people in the first year. There have not been any details realised on this scheme yet. The latest update from the UK Government is at Bespoke resettlement route for Afghan refugees announced - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).
Local Authority Resources:
- Welcome: a guide for arrivals to the UK from Afghanistan on the locally employed staff relocation scheme - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- خوش آمدید: یک رهنما برای افراد تازه وارد از افغانستان به بریتانیا تحت برنامه نقل مکان کارمندان محلی - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- ښه راغلاست: د افغانستان د ځایي ګمارل شویو کارکوونکو طرحو لاندې د افغانستان نه د راغلي کسانو لپاره یو لارښود - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Afghan Relocations and Assistance Policy: further information on eligibility criteria and offer details - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- FACTSHEET: UK support to resettle Afghan nationals - ARAP scheme - Home Office in the media (blog.gov.uk)
Public / Third sector resources:
- Information for people in Scotland affected by the evolving crisis in Afghanistan - Scottish Refugee Council