The team’s work is informed by the key principles that guide the work of COSLA and local government in Scotland. These see local councils as the glue which bind local communities, drive social cohesion, and support the most vulnerable people in society, and emphasise the importance of locally delivered and accountable policies and services. COSLA and councils have also been the driving force behind an outcome-focused approach to policy development and service delivery in Scotland and the team is very much focused on working together with partners to plan for, deliver and be accountable for, the following outcomes which underpin all of the work that we do:
- Local Government and our partners promote a culture of equality and human rights;
- Local Government shapes policy development and legislative change relating to migration;
- Local Government and our partners play a key role in programmes which support people seeking sanctuary in the UK;
- Local Government and our partners work to eliminate human trafficking and exploitation;
- Local Government and our partners ensure that migrants are better integrated into local communities;
- Local Government and our partners proactively respond to demographic change.