Equality and Human Rights
COSLA continues to support Scottish local authorities to promote a culture of equality and human rights. Examples of this work include:
- Supporting the Scottish National Action Plan on Human Rights (SNAP) and the vision of a Scotland in which everyone is able to live with dignity.
- Working to ensure local authorities are supported to respond to the Equality Act 2010 by making better use of national resources and promoting opportunities for good practice sharing through the Scottish Government Scottish National Equality Improvement Project (SNEIP) Sounding Board.
- Supporting the Scottish Councils’ Equality Network (SCEN), to ensure we are informed by local authorities on key equality and human rights issues and local authorities are kept fully informed of COSLA’s work in this area.
- Participating in the Equality Budget Advisory Group (EBAG), to ensure COSLA contributes to shaping Scottish Government’s equality approach to the Budget.
- Developing the diversity of local elected representatives, addressing barriers, and encouraging and supporting a wider range of people to vote and come forward as candidates, and identifying changes in culture and practices that further open up Scotland’s democracy.
Last updated: 11/01/19